Christmas Countdown Widget

Welcome

Welcome to my All Things Christmas Blog. Get a cup of your favorite coffee or tea and take a look around. I will be posting our Christmas traditions, websites and links of Christmas crafts and activities. If you have anything to share please let me know. My main family blog is found at www.homeschoolblogger.com/Pearcefamily

Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Day of Advent





Today is the first day of Advent. Advent is always the fourth Sunday before Christmas. We celebrate this day in several ways. After dinner when it is dark we light the first purple candle on our wreath. We remind the kids of what the wreath and candles symbolize. Then we count down the days in several different ways. Jay reads from our book (Bartholomew's Passage, this year) While the kids color a page from their coloring book that I made from here:
http://www.dltk-bible.com/advent/index.htm. Then this year we want to teach them some traditional Christmas carols so Jay might get out his guitar and we will start singing. I think we might start with "Away in a Manager" and of course we also like the other ones like Frosty and Rudolph.
Each morning during school we will do our Jesse Tree and put up a piece of their nativity scene. I will post a picture of the nativity scene later tonight. It is a craft from Oriental trading and each day they put up a piece leading up to baby Jesus.
I hope you enjoy the first night of advent tonight. The count down is on and I hope you have a blessed time with family and friends and always remembering the "reason for the season" Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.
Merry Christmas

No comments: